Samsung’s New Phone: Galaxy Z Fold 4
The Galaxy Z Flip 4 is less an innovation and more of a refinement of last year’s model. It sports slimmer bezels and flatter edges to make for a more premium-feeling device. Even with that, it’s still a fun little phone. Samsung is really leaning into the young crowd with the content creation features and general vibe of the handset, leaving the “mature” and “professional” look for the Galaxy Z Fold 4.
The Galaxy Z Flip series has never been a bargain buy proposition – and why would it be, given its unique design? – but it has always been at least a little more affordable than its big brother, the Galaxy Z Fold. That remains the case with the newest generation too.
The Z Flip 4 will have a starting price of $999/£999 for 128GB of storage, and this rises to $1059/£1059 for 256GB and $1179/£1179 for the top-spec variant with 512GB.
The Galaxy Z Flip 4’s unique clamshell design gives in two screens. The smaller outer screen measures 1.9-inches and has a 260×512 resolution, while the large internal folding screen is an AMOLED panel that measures 6.7-inches, has a fully adaptive 120Hz refresh rate, and has a Full HD+ resolution.
When folded up, the device measures 71.9×84.9×17.1mm, but when unfurled it has dimensions of 21.9×165.2×6.9mm. It weighs just 187g.
The main camera module has dual sensors, each with a 12-megapixel resolution; one is a wide angle camera, and the other is an ultrawide. The selfie camera on the inside of the handset has a 10-megapixel resolution.
Powered by the top of the range Snapdragon 8 Plus Gen 1 chipset, this device is loaded with 8GB of RAM as well, across all three storage variants.
The battery capacity is 3,700mAh, and it’s supported by Samsung’s 25W fast-charging. According to the manufacturer, it can charge up to 50% in around 30 minutes; it’s also capable of wireless charging.
- Main display: 6.7in, 120Hz (2,640 x 1,080) Dynamic AMOLED 2X
- Cover display: 1.9in (512 x 260) Super AMOLED
- Octa-core 3.2GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1
- 8GB of RAM
- 128GB, 256GB or 512GB
- Dual rear camera: 12MP (f/1.8), 12MP (f/2.2) 123-degree ultra-wide
- Selfie camera: 10MP (f/2.4)
- 3,700mAh battery
- IPX8-rated waterproofing
- Folded dimensions: 72 x 85 x 17.1mm
- Unfolded dimensions: 72 x 165 x 6.9mm
- Bora Purple, Graphite, Pink Gold, Blue
- UK release date: Preorder from 10 August, available from 26 August
- UK price: £999 (128GB), £1,059 (256GB), £1,199 (512GB)